Monday, July 9, 2012

The Problem with Mobile (commentary)

       I love the mobile revolution! The software and devices coming out of Apple, Microsoft and Google & friends just makes my inner geek freak out with nerdy, geeky, techy joy! But there is a problem... Mobile is it is MOBILE! Prior to my jump into a tablet, my primary device of choice was a laptop. While not as mobile as a tablet, the laptop worked very nicely for my purposes. I had something like 6 hours of battery life and complementing programs that did what I needed. But the move to a tablet added a lot of things and I am mostly happy with it. But this article is not about what I am happy with. It's about what the mobile experience currently lacks.

True Multi-Tasking

I have played with all of the mobile operating systems that are currently available. From Blackberry to Symbian, from iOS to Android. What I haven't played with I have researched, and the one thing that is lacking in all of these devices is true multi-tasking. Sure some of them run programs in the back ground, but that isn't what I mean. What I refer to is the ability to work two tasks simultaneously without the need to switch between them. I am referring to windows people. OSX, Linux and Windows (which is named for the capability) all have it. I've worked on all three. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, but they all have the mutli-tasking ability I refer to. Now, I understand the limitations of multi-tasking at this level for mobile devices. First, the average phone's screen is way too small. But why should we preclude tablets from the game because phones have small screen space? Second, multi-tasking on such a level can cause a little larger strain on the mobile cpu and os. Still, I feel the primary reason that you can't find an iPad or Android tablet that has "windows" functions on it is laziness. 

The "Window" is Open

Of all the reasons listed above, laziness is the answer in my mind. I have seen that the window function is capable on mobile devices. A perfect example of this is MBFG's products. Things like OverSkreen (a floating web browser), StickIt! (a floating video player), AirCalc (a floating calculator) and AirTerm (a floating terminal). These apps all feature the window floating capability and play nice with other apps as well. What is more, Tablified Apps has released LilyPad Floating IM which does the same thing but for IM clients. Samsung also introduced something like stick it on the Galaxy S III phone. All of these apps can be resized, moved and minimized with little to not fuss. I have even used them on my small Android phone screen. While I am convinced that such a function is somewhat useless on such a small screen, I do feel the function should be available for those who would like to use it. And that is what MBFG does for Android. But that isn't enough! Just because there is some functionality in this area doesn't mean that it is the answer. Why isn't this basic function that has been available in computers since I can remember lacking in the computing devices of the future? Why can't I have a movie playing in one corner while I web browse on the other without having to modify my tablet? Why can't iPad users do this? Why is it that this basic functionality that we all use and take for granted on standard computers lacking in mobile? I would suggest it is because we are not asking for it. Right now, the only mobile tablet that may have this functionality built in is the Microsoft Surface. A device that isn't even released yet! From what I can tell, the Windows 8 & Windows RT maintain the floating windows function without much fuss. This means that Apple and Google could be playing catch-up to Microsoft if people realize that for the same or similar price to Microsoft's competition they can get a mobile device that is more functional. Now, I understand I could be way of base here. Maybe I'm making a big deal out of something everyone else could care less about. So what do you think. Is the floating window function a big deal?

No comments:

Post a Comment