Sunday, July 1, 2012

What the Hell Google?!?!

To start with, I want to say that the Google I/O event was awesome and I really wish I could have been there. Watching it on YouTube is just not the same. I am super excited about the Nexus 7, Jelly Bean and even Project Glass. The updates for Google+ and all the other stuff was awesome as well, BUT...

The Nexus Q

What the hell is this thing?!?! It looks cool. It sounds cool, but in reality it is either a little ahead of its time or a lot behind on understanding human psychology! If you haven't heard, this little device hooks up to you speakers and TV and lets you play things from your Google Play and Cloud accounts. In theory  this sounds nice. Not so sure about the practice. Let me break it down for you.

Android Only

You can use your Android device to control this thing. That's it! Hey, I love Android, but there are other devices out there. While I dislike Apple greatly for their big bully behavior towards Android OEMs, they still make a great product, and the lack of support of iOS devices means you are leaving people out in the cold. The reason I love Google is because they don't play the Apple game. Seems to me like this is an attempt to do that. 

Music Ques

Using your Android device you can control and create music ques with you Google Play music. It sounded like you could also port your existing music into the Google Cloud so you could use that music too (up to 20,000 at no cost). All of this is nice, but they added the ability for anyone who has and Android device to control the music. Now there is a nice side to this in that I could share my music with friends without them having to buy said music while protecting the copyright of the band, but they forgot about human nature. Maybe its because I was enjoying Malcom in the Middle reruns when I found out about the Nexus Q, or perhaps its because I great up with 6 siblings, but I' fairly certain that giving all users equal access to the device and allow them all the ability to interrupt the current song is a disaster waiting to happen. 

Limited Ecosystem

The Google Play store is awesome, but there are so many countries where it or psrts of it are not available. Now this may be because of the studios, or governments, or heaven knows what else, but it is limited. Also, the fact that you have to have a Google Play compatible device is a big limiter. Netflix has the right idea. Make it compatible with all devices and there won't be any issue of limits. But why would I cough up $9.99 for a digital copy of a movie when I can buy the DVD or Blue-ray and make a backup copy? Now, if Google Play were offering an All You Can Eat option like Amazon Prime or even Netflix, that is a different story. But this device is currently limited to Google Play. I can get more out of my Logitech Revue than out of this thing because at least the Revue works with Pandora, Netflix and Amazon Prime.

The Final WTF: The PRICE

This device is $299! Sure its running a dual core processor. Sure it's cutting edge, never been done before, blah blah blah blah blah. BUT $299!!! Considering all the options we the people have in the electronics market I say save your money. Buy an amp and hook in a Nexus 7 tablet. You'll likely have just as good and experience and save $100. Either that or wait until the price drops or more functionality is added because at this point, its nice, but not I NEED IT nice.

There is Hope

The Nexus Q runs Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich. It was designed on the open source mobile OS that is taking the world by storm. In the Keynote for Google I/O 2012 the presenter encouraged hacking it! That is awesome. Perhaps this little device could bloom into something we do NEED. But at this point I'm thinking you should invest in Pocket TV or a Google TV box if you want to enjoy the Google Ecosystem without the premium.

No comments:

Post a Comment