Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Confessions of a Sports Agnostic

I have a saying. I think its quite funny, but some don't agree. My saying is I'm a sports agnostic. Sports may or may not exists, but I don't care. To be fare, I need to qualify that. What I mean is spectator sports. For some reason I just can't get excited about watching or following stats for any major sport. Sure I may watch the odd game with family or friends. I may even tune into the Olympics for a spell, but I just don't feel the umph that others seem to get out of it. And it isn't because I don't understand the game. For heaven's sake, I get most of the rules of Cricket. I know some fans who don't even have that much. So what am I suppose to do?
This particular dilemma is compounded because a family member criticized me for my "anti-social" behavior when it comes to sports. So I've been thinking about what I can and should do. Sadly, it seems that spectator sports is just a huge deal in all walks of life. At school, work, and even church it always seems to be a central topic of discussion. Of course there are my geeky, nerdy, and techy friends who care less about such sports, but I have never been one to limit myself socially if I can help it. Of course, add to this the fact that my profession of choice is high school teacher and sports becomes a huge issue. I can get behind the high school team because that's what you're suppose to do, but what if my lack of interest and by connection knowledge in the area of sports handicaps my carrier advancement because I don't know much about the latest team or player?
I suppose the reason I'm writing this is partly to ask for help in this regards and partly to get things off of my chest. Where should one start when learning to care at least a little about spectator sports? I'm great at conversational BS but I can only take it so far when I have lost track of who is whom in the arena of sports. Is there a book, article, or app (for Android, I don't have any iOS devices currently) that I can get to at least start me down the road of being an undercover sports agnostic? Your feed back is wanted. Share them in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment